19-02-2021 20:21:42

cooool

cooool

Topics: 37

Replies: 51

I decided to post here since Admin is pretty smart, he or someone else might know something about this.

I have a 5TB HDD. When I added files so the total current use was over 4TB, I plugged it into another PC with Windows 10. The new content showed up.

Then it disappeared, everything that was just added (that was causing the total amount to be over 4TB) disappeared. It showed only the files present from the previous state, prior to going over 4TB.

I think this is some kind of caching issue in Windows 10 and not a problem with the drive. Any ideas?
19-02-2021 21:19:47

Admin

mieow~

Topics: 137

Replies: 6871

Does it still taking up spaces on your drive? There're a few cases may happen:
- Your drive defected, or bad sectors, which causes the corruption of the files. The drive may get write-lock or having the writer damaged, which makes the new files disappear as they're not written into the disk. 30% this may happens.
- Your other PC has viruses, it hides the files and give out some fake files (not really, as no files re-appear), but low chances may happens. 10% this may happen.
- Your drive is chip-modified to make it appear as 5TB drive, while the real space on the drive is much smaller (may happen if you purchased cheap drives from untrusted provider). So after you copied the files and unplugged the drive, the over-quota files will disappear - in this case is the amount over 1TB => the real size of the drive is 1TB only. 60% this may happen.

Just a few of possible cases as I guessed. smiley of chumpy dance
Got any problem? Contact me at once.email: admin[at]chauthanh[dot]info

Register and login before downloading!
23-02-2021 15:46:10

Gagan

Topics: 15

Replies: 10

try recovering them by software

https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm
24-02-2021 02:45:22

cooool

cooool

Topics: 37

Replies: 51

I don't need to recover them since I have them elsewhere, but thanks for the replies.

To document the problem in case someone else ever has it:

1. Laptop had external HDD connected with 600 files and went into sleep mode.
2. I disconnected HDD while laptop still in sleep mode and added more files on it from another PC.
3. I brought HDD back to laptop and connected it while laptop was still in sleep mode.
4. Laptop wakes up and now reads there are 610 files on HDD, but there should be 620.
5. I restart laptop and now it reads there are only 600 files on the HDD.
6. Space is still being taken up by the extra files that are missing.

I've determined it is some kind of caching issue in Windows 10. When it read the HDD and the results were different than what was cached, whatever mechanism it uses to cache the list of files became corrupt and now that extra content will not show up in the file explorer. I did some research and evidently this is an uncommon but possible problem, whereas Admin's list are the more common causes of disappearing files.

Moral of story: don't disconnect and reconnect HDD to sleeping laptop.
24-02-2021 12:46:34

Admin

mieow~

Topics: 137

Replies: 6871

I don't need to recover them since I have them elsewhere, but thanks for the replies.

To document the problem in case someone else ever has it:

1. Laptop had external HDD connected with 600 files and went into sleep mode.
2. I disconnected HDD while laptop still in sleep mode and added more files on it from another PC.
3. I brought HDD back to laptop and connected it while laptop was still in sleep mode.
4. Laptop wakes up and now reads there are 610 files on HDD, but there should be 620.
5. I restart laptop and now it reads there are only 600 files on the HDD.
6. Space is still being taken up by the extra files that are missing.

I've determined it is some kind of caching issue in Windows 10. When it read the HDD and the results were different than what was cached, whatever mechanism it uses to cache the list of files became corrupt and now that extra content will not show up in the file explorer. I did some research and evidently this is an uncommon but possible problem, whereas Admin's list are the more common causes of disappearing files.

Moral of story: don't disconnect and reconnect HDD to sleeping laptop.
smiley of i m fabulouslul looks like windows Indexing service caused the problem. It indexes the files and if you don't shutdown the computer, the indexes will remain and causes strange behaviours.
Got any problem? Contact me at once.email: admin[at]chauthanh[dot]info

Register and login before downloading!
24-02-2021 14:54:03

Gagan

Topics: 15

Replies: 10

Alright,

Hdd sentinel pro ( crack it or patch it, ignore antivirus falsepositve if prompted and add to allow list else turn off before extraction )

Mega link

https://mega.nz/file/oI5GUbCR#WLB7fseJI2uKDFwCQ6y6K7kPLuu2Hd35APJmLJqoElQ

It will tell you the drive health ,bad sector,  failing sectors count or if you required replacement. 

Here you may also do several drive tests to check the status.

This will give you a clear picture if it is drives fault or human fault lol

Done

MK*

Disable indexing service  ( it is used to help find files when user search in the box, to cache low bit files to speed up search process)

Use Everything 

https://www.voidtools.com/
19-10-2023 20:40:41

RokuRemote777

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

SImple fix sometimes, but check Trash/Recycle Bin, or turn on view hidden files. Files may be there.

Sounds like Windows didn't finish writing the files. I deal with this all the time with TV station employees who don't like to properly eject USB drives of any sort. USB-C uses a different protocol, so just wondering what USB version the drive uses for connection.
Chatbox