28-09-2020 15:56:21

jRoVilleG

Topics: 30

Replies: 36

I'm sorry if I'm belaboring the point, but half you done an A-B test between 1080 and 720 resolution for anime?  I can't see a difference even on a 5k iMac display, and the 720 file are about 40% of the size.  We would get faster downloading times and smaller storage requirements.  It just seems that 1.2 GB for a 25 minute anime episode is too large.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I only get about 23 Mb/sec download speeds where I am.  If I'm downloading an entire series, it can take hours.  And again, 720 resolution looks great.

Please consider it.
28-09-2020 17:53:57

Admin

mieow~

Topics: 137

Replies: 4690

I'm sorry if I'm belaboring the point, but half you done an A-B test between 1080 and 720 resolution for anime?  I can't see a difference even on a 5k iMac display, and the 720 file are about 40% of the size.  We would get faster downloading times and smaller storage requirements.  It just seems that 1.2 GB for a 25 minute anime episode is too large.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I only get about 23 Mb/sec download speeds where I am.  If I'm downloading an entire series, it can take hours.  And again, 720 resolution looks great.

Please consider it.
On my 2K monitor, 1080p and 720p give different quality. If you watch it on 1080p monitor, the differences will be more clearly.

The reason for storing 1080p instead of 720p now is that most of the sources (HDTV, Bluray disc, or WEBRip) is 1080p by nature, 720p is basically downscale version, and downscale = decrease in quality somehow, instead of 1080p original scale (no bicubic downscale apply). And as I said above, with 1080p monitor the differences will be more clearly (and 1080p monitor nowadays is the smallest resolution you can get, with cheap pricing starting at $50-70).

I assume 16Mbps is 2MB/s, with 1.5GB file is 1500MB/ 2MB/s / 60 secs = 12 mins per episode. You can easily queue all of them, start download queue and watch 1 latest downloaded episode, you will surely have the next episode be ready when this one finished smiley of i m confused

Ever since our old days 6-7 years ago, a 720p episode cost 450MB per file and on 6Mbps connection ~ 700kb/s download speed = 450.000 / 700 = ~650 seconds = ~ 11 minutes download.

The math shows the same download time smiley of oh my goddd my god...
Got any problem? Contact me at once.email: admin[at]chauthanh[dot]info

Register and login before downloading!
30-09-2020 17:57:33

nabiru3

Topics: 19

Replies: 15

Actually it is a tad bit more complicated than that. First rookie mistake you made was associating file size to the resolution of the video, not all 1080p releases are large and not all 720p releases are small. In many cases, all what you need is a very basic knowledge to be able to tell the difference between better or worse (regardless of a release being a downscale or an upscale).

Most anime prior to 2017 weren't animated at a scale larger than 720p, making choosing the 720p release the perfect option, yet it is just a general rule of thumb, with many exceptions. what you want to have more, is basically a decent source not a bigger resolution, so always opt for the best source video/audio/subs -wise, regardless of how small/big they are.

My general rule when a show has a BD/DVD is this
*1080P BD(720P BD for most shows prior to 2014) -> *720P BD -> DVD remake(if available) -> old DVDrip -> Tvrip/Webrip

*in some cases BD releases are upscales (poor ones as well), so going with a decent DVDrip would be the better option!
30-09-2020 18:04:12

Admin

mieow~

Actually it is a tad bit more complicated than that. First rookie mistake you made was associating file size to the resolution of the video, not all 1080p releases are large and not all 720p releases are small. In many cases, all what you need is a very basic knowledge to be able to tell the difference between better or worse (regardless of a release being a downscale or an upscale).

Most anime prior to 2017 weren't animated at a scale larger than 720p, making choosing the 720p release the perfect option, yet it is just a general rule of thumb, with many exceptions. what you want to have more, is basically a decent source not a bigger resolution, so always opt for the best source video/audio/subs -wise, regardless of how small/big they are.

*1080P BD(720P BD for most shows prior to 2014) -> *720P BD -> DVD remake(if available) -> old DVDrip -> Tvrip/Webrip

*in some cases BD releases are upscales (poor ones as well), so going with a decent DVDrip would be the better option!
Nah, I know that, but if we do that, I will have to personally get and watch every shows before uploading them to ensure they're the best resolution/rip (most of the torrent don't have ripping information or video/audio information, you will have to download to check them one by one).
And of course we don't have time for that. In reality, it's simpler just to get more recent rip and BD rip with 1080p, we may have some upscale show, but we still have real 1080p shows.
Instead if we only get 720p now, we will get only downscale show from real 1080p ver and 720p original shows.
So yeah, choosing 1080p ver is a more suitable decision making now.

So in between 720p and 1080p now, we would rather choose 1080p.

30-09-2020 18:34:31

nabiru3

Nah, I know that, but if we do that, I will have to personally get and watch every shows before uploading them to ensure they're the best resolution/rip (most of the torrent don't have ripping information or video/audio information, you will have to download to check them one by one).
And of course we don't have time for that. In reality, it's simpler just to get more recent rip and BD rip with 1080p, we may have some upscale show, but we still have real 1080p shows.
Instead if we only get 720p now, we will get only downscale show from real 1080p ver and 720p original shows.
So yeah, choosing 1080p ver is a more suitable decision making now.

So in between 720p and 1080p now, we would rather choose 1080p.

1080p is a safer option for anyone who just want be sure he is getting something good, but definitely not always the best, but again, It is not the res. that matters, the source is far more important, for example this release for Spice and wolf was done with a newer BD source that didn't exist back when Coalgirls done their release, and this new release by MTBB was far more superior in video quality, due to enhancements done by the studio in the recent years and here is the proof,

So, one should always dig deeper, if he/she wants to find the best release for their fav. animes, which is, like you said, a quite tedious job, specially when you have to maintain a shitload of animes.

And frankly, it would still be safer to opt for the 720p in most cases, since really most animes are 720p native, going all for 1080p would put more risk at bloating than 720p would put at down-scaling. Also a quick way to find out if a show properly deserve 1080p resolution would be to see if a reputable encode group has done it in that res. (reputable groups include, Kagura, Yousei, Beatrice, Philosophy, )
30-09-2020 20:53:36

cooool

Topics: 10

Replies: 11

I agree with admin just 1080p and call it a day. If you want small file size encodes, there are enough options out there to choose from. Having a website provide this level of quality in the form of direct downloads, on the other hand, is very rare.
30-09-2020 21:10:21

Admin

mieow~

I agree with admin just 1080p and call it a day. If you want small file size encodes, there are enough options out there to choose from. Having a website provide this level of quality in the form of direct downloads, on the other hand, is very rare.
We are having many sites providing anime streaming, more than 10-ish sites, like twist.moe or 9anime or aniwatch. They're providing 480p and 720p streaming too, but streaming will cost quality, and all of them use mp4 hardsubbed files, which you can't download for collections.

01-10-2020 06:13:33

nabiru3

Gee, I already said that resolution got nothing to do with file sizes per se, small sizes pertain to many more things, for example, bit-starved encodes, videos with a lot of still shots, closeups...etc. And this invalidates your argument, as upscales can just be as bad as downscales.

Admin already made his point clear, that he is going for 1080p because he doesn't have the time to check if an anime is worth 1080p or not, so he just assume it is, so I guess it is as good a place as any to drop this topic.
01-10-2020 06:56:20

Admin

mieow~

Gee, I already said that resolution got nothing to do with file sizes per se, small sizes pertain to many more things, for example, bit-starved encodes, videos with a lot of still shots, closeups...etc. And this invalidates your argument, as upscales can just be as bad as downscales.

Admin already made his point clear, that he is going for 1080p because he doesn't have the time to check if an anime is worth 1080p or not, so he just assume it is, so I guess it is as good a place as any to drop this topic.
Nah, it's ok. Everyone has their own taste. And in enjoying the encodes and subtitles, it may varies very much.
In the old days when we have so many fansub active, there're still arguments about which fansub to get from, Doki or UTW or Coalgirls... Nowadays we're just about resolution and everything was pretty much only Erai-raws or Horriblesubs fixed smiley of onion cry

It would be the best if we have that much storage and just throw in all versions possible, but if we do that we won't have enough sustanable HDD and will soon run out of space smiley of leave me alone

Chatbox